Selling your home when autumn leaves begin to fall
Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:09 am
When the temperatures begin to cool down a bit, the Bluffton and Hilton Head real estate market in fall is usually hot. As a matter of fact, home selling in autumn is the second-best time of the year to sell a home.
Autumn officially begins Sept. 22, and the fall season is a good time to put your home on the market, and get it sold before the holidays and winter arrive in the Lowcountry.
Here are some suggestions for selling your home in autumn:
- Keep the outside looking extra clean. Rid the yard, driveway, walkways, roof and gutters of leaves and debris and make sure the lawn is mowed and looking good.
- Take the clean-up to an even higher level. Power wash the exterior, pavement, decks and windows. Trim the trees so they are neat and that unexpected winds don't knock down branches that could cause home damage.
- Make sure those views look very attractive. Arrange the patio and surrounding area so that the views from indoors are inviting and appealing when first seen and when prospective buyers walk outside.
- Create a "Wow!" upon entry for great curb appeal. Make the entry doorway beautiful, maybe paint it a warm color, and place plantings strategically along the walkway to accent the home's appeal with vibrant seasonal colors.
- Do it up with fall decorations but don't overdo it. Don't use decorations that detract from the home - a festive front door wreath, a pumpkin or two and a lighting pathway to the front door can make a great first impression.
- Keep it feeling warm and cozy. Entering a cold house in the fall can leave a chilling impression. It's best to warm it up, so set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature and get the fireplace going. Another way to warm up a home is with light, by keeping the blinds and curtains open and the lamps lit.
(Special thanks to Johnny Mercer for helping me with the headline of this article.)
Larry Stoller is the broker-owner and Realtor with Real Estate Five of the Lowcountry. Larry@RealEstateFive.com or RealEstateFive.com